Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Boys' Country Corner is Back! (Grammy Edition) / Plus, Miss America Recap

This year's Grammy Awards are mere hours away and the boys are excited. It's expected to be a big year for Taylor Swift, who has racked up an impressive array of awards already this year. Let's take a look at the chorus of "Fearless," the title track of her album.

"Cause I don't know how it gets better than this
You take my hand and drag me head first
Fearless
And I don't know why but with you I'd dance in a storm in my best dress
Fearless"



Chip: "Swift is misleadingly considered a doe-eyed innocent, a counterpart to the sexually-saturated lyrics of most other female singer-songwriters, but in the chorus above we see a disturbing penchant for 'rough sex' in the imagery of her suitor dragging her around head-first, which she claims to enjoy ("I don't know how it gets better than this")."

Richard: "She claims to enjoy it, yes, but I think that the following line about the dress and the storm, suggesting as it does a reckless disregard for personal safety, illustrates a confusion on her own part ("I don't know why") which suggests she's actually been coerced into these behaviors, almost hypnotized, if you will. It's a powerful warning to young women about how falling for 'bad boys' can lead to trouble."

Captain Chanute: "I really should have screwed this chick when she was in Larryville last semester."

---

The boys always root for Miss Kansas and Miss Arkansas in the Miss America Pageant (mainly because they feel like there's slightly more of a chance of meeting and banging them). But last night's winner was Miss Virginia (pictured below), who took the crown "after strutting in a skintight yellow dress, belting Beyonce's 'Listen' from Dreamgirls, and telling kids they should get outside more often" (interweb).

Chip: "I'd like to bang her, Beyonce-style, in the great outdoors."

Richard: "What seems like mere vulgarities on Chip's part is actually a reference to yesterday's (much funnier) blog post."

3 comments:

mario lopez (aka a.c.) said...

I believe her answer was something like, "Kids should do what I did, use their imaginations to play games with sticks." Inspiring, inspiring stuff, and clearly obvious why she won.

"Miss Virginia, in my imagination, with a stick."

free PBR said...

Mario, that stick line made me laugh. Free PBR for you!

advertising in acronyms! said...

PRB me ASAP!