Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Cast Your Votes, Readers: It's City Election Day in Larryville! / Plus, We Check Back in With "Drunken Concert Goer"

On this exciting day in which we elect new City Commissioners to preside over hedgehog and urban chicken legislation and proposals to rename various streets after random local coaches, the LJ-World is providing the valuable service of a live blog to keep track of the events at various polling stations. The most recent entry reports that, as of 11:30, one voter had voted at the Burge Union! Come on, fratboys! Don't you want to make sure we keep hedgehogs legal. They're hilarious to watch when you're smoking your bong!

---

Our new favorite local blogger seems to attend many of the hipster shows we promote here at the LC, and his newest entry (and best yet) examines the Bishop Allen show at the Jackpot.

Richard explains his technique: "Essentially, he casts himself in what we call the 'Chip role,' a crude and boorish fellow who does not understand the local customs of the hipsters he finds himself surrounded by. In his new entry, he seems to have learned to play it with a straight face. Let's take a look:

"As far as their performance tonight, I tend to judge a band on whether or not they play my favorite song of theirs. (I had to see the Decemberists four times in Lawrence/KC before they played Here I Dreamt I Was An Architect.) Because Bishop Allen just had a new album come out, I knew there was a chance they wouldn’t play The Monitor off their previous album, a powerful ballad about the ironclad battle of the Civil War. But they did, and all was well in the universe that night – I was free to return to shouting “Free Bird!” between the remaining songs."

Chip: "First off, I'm not entirely sure he's being sarcastic and, second of all, I'm nothing like him: I assure you that I shout 'Freebird' from start to finish at every show."



As far as their performance tonight, I tend to judge a band on whether or not they play my favorite song of theirs. (I had to see the Decemberists four times in Lawrence/KC before they played Here I Dreamt I Was An Architect.) Because Bishop Allen just had a new album come out, I knew there was a chance they wouldn’t play The Monitor off their previous album, a powerful ballad about the ironclad battle of the Civil War. But they did, and all was well in the universe that night – I was free to return to shouting “Free Bird!” between the remaining songs.

6 comments:

the virginia kicked the monitor's ass! said...

Are we supposed to take his "Not a Hipster Hipster" act seriously (or is it Hipster Not a Hipster)? Anyone who has favorite songs called "Here I Dreamt I Was an Architect" and about Civil War ironclad battles is clearly waving the Hipster Flag high.

The only thing worse than a full-fledged hipster is a full-fledged hipster self-shamed into mocking full-fledged hipsters on a blog.

nog said...

Now hold on: are we talking about Drunken Concert Reviewer or me here!


--I still think this dude stole my schtick!

cl.thier said...

Come on N.ggle - we all know that you're able to keep an ironic detachment that Eliot would be proud of! Not to mention, your use of pseudonyms and fictional places brings a certain Nabokovian whimsy to the blog that DCG could never hope to reproduce. DCG did not "steal your schtick" - he watered it down with 3.2 PRB, drank copious amounts, then threw it back up in the alley behind the Jackpot hoping it would be better the second time around.

Incisive cultural commentary? No. Witty criticisms of the local musical landscape. Nope. Civic reportage which easily bests the local rags and e-rags? Never. Self-deprecating humor which plays on the blurred line between person and persona, fantasy and fact, fiction and fuction?* Zero. Scathing indictments of the hypocrisy of various sub-genres of the Lawrence downtown scene? None of that. A multi-media novel-in-progress about a boy werewolf and his ever-present erection? Alas, no.

So, essentially DCG makes PBR jokes. That's not a "schtick," that's a cliche!



*fuction was my word verification - I had to work it in!

edit post button! said...

"PRB" ...what the hell is Pabst Ribbon Blue? Is that what Yoda drinks when ironic he wants to feel?

honeycomb said...

I'd have to agree with C.othier on this one. I don't see anything on DCG that even masquerades as social or musical commentary.

Of course, you could be quoting his worst stuff to make yours look better . . . or he could just suck.

Plus, is Colony Collapse schedule to play a bee farm in my area? Do they tour with the colonies when they get transported to pollinate the fields and orchards.

let's pollinate! said...

I follow them from bee farm to bee farm!