Sunday, April 5, 2009

Can 16113 Lady Jayhawk Fans Be Wrong? / Plus, the Boys Consider Tonight's Country Music Awards! / Also, More City Commissioner Coverage!

It's true, readers. 16,113 (bandwagon) fans packed the Fieldhouse yesterday to witness the Lady Jayhawks loss to the South Florida Bulls.

Chip: "There's been a lot of talk about winning and losing with this tournament but what people are forgetting is this: in the WNIT, even the winners are losers."

The LJ-World's sports columnist Tom Keegan feels the team has won a respect that will carry on throughout their program: "They won over a town that spends its winters obsessing on the other tenants of Allen Fieldhouse." (LJ-World)

Chip: "Wrong, Keegan. The 'fans' showed up simply out of a desperate need for local April competition that must be filled by something, anything, since the men are out of the Dance. You could have held a fucking...turtle race in there yesterday and people would have turned out. Some of us would have preferred it."


---

The boys; love for country music is well-documented here, and you can bet they'll gather around the set tonight for the AMA Country Music Awards. Do they have any particular favorites.

Richard: "I'm rooting for Brad Paisley's 'Waitin' on a Woman.' We've often praised Paisley's rib-tickling work here, in songs like 'Ticks,' but this new song shows us he can combine his trademark wit with a powerful and moving tale about a man who learns to love the initially annoying habit of his woman's perpetual lateness so much that he looks forward to dying first and waiting for her in heaven. Snark aside, this song is quite touching."

Chip: "I cry every time I hear it. My other pick for the night is Larryville's own Sarah Buxton, for Best New Female Vocalist. Her name reminds me of 'buxom,' which remind me of breasts, which gives me a boner. I'd bang her. In fact, I think I may have, back in the day."




















---

Local elections are Tuesday, readers, and we hope you'll make the right choice in electing new City Commissioners. Today's LJ-World provides a useful account of the major positions and campaign promises of each candidate. The LC's choice, KJHK general manager Tom Johnson, "wants to work with downtown businesses to develop an 'incentive bus pass' that would give riders access to special discounts and promotions at downtown businesses" (LJ-World).

Richard: "I'm not entirely sure what this means, but what I hope it means is that he's creating a special bus exclusively to pick up hipsters and take them to discount shows (half-price PBR) at the Replay, TapRoom, and Jackpot."

Chip: "Actually, I've decided to lend my support to Mike Amyx, because he's the guy who cuts my hair."

No comments: