Sunday, March 22, 2009

Continuing Coverage of the Missouri Street Controversy! / Plus, The Boys Consider KJHK's Twitterings from the South By Southwest Festival!

The boys favorite local story at the moment is Mayor Sue Hack's proposal to rename a portion of Missouri Street in honor of former football coach and well-known Missouri-hater Don Fambrough. The boys are normally huge fans of current City Commissioner "Boog" Highberger, but in this instance he's become one of the most vocal opponents of the change, calling it "petty and childish" (LJ-World). Hack disagrees, saying that the plan is all about honoring Fambrough, not about hating Missouri: "If it were about the hatred of Missouri, I would have suggested not even having a Missouri Street in Lawrence at all."

Chip: "That's an even better idea, Mayor!"

The city fathers are slated to decide the issue in a meeting this Tuesday.

---

KJHK's website has done something absolutely delightful for local hipsters who are unable to make it to Austin for SXSW this year. They've offered us a link to a Twitter site allowing us to follow the progress of a local hipster through the shows this week. Here are a few of his "twitterings":


I would have preferred an Undertones cover from the Pink Spiders, but the Cars works. Teenage Bottlerocket is next, then the Queers!

Kevin Seconds drummed for Kepi. And they covered Devil Town by Daniel Johnston.

I will be watching pop punk all night at Red 7. Wearing a red bandana around my neck and an orange UFB tshirt. Come say hi and buy me beer.

Bouncing Souls at Red 7. It has been 11 years since I last saw them. Here we go here we go here we go!

I was drinking a doublewhiskeycokenoice while listening to the song of the same name. Wow. I love SXSW.



Chip: "It all sounds like a foreign language to me, and a very ugly one."

Richard: "I love the fact that he announces where he is and what he's wearing so that random Twittering hipsters can find and party with him. I may start doing that too."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, I love Twitter!

What is it again?

Anonymous said...

I don't know, but soon enough I suspect we'll all be twittering like motherfuckers.