Saturday, November 15, 2008

The Econonic Crisis Hits Downtown Larryville, Vol. I / Plus, the Boys' Hip-Hop Pick of the Day!

After 50 years in business, locally owned Arensberg's Shoes is slated to close. The Arensberg brothers cite the recession as the cause.

Chip: "Sure, it's sad to lose a local business, but maybe something new can move in and revitalize the scene. There is currently a regrettable lack of corporate franchises downtown. I think people would enjoy a nice Applebee's or TGI-Friday's in that location. Even a Hooter's. It would be interesting to compare the breasts of the Hooter's waitresses with those of the Quinton's waitresses. I think the Quinton's boobs would win, but in a larger sense we'd all be winners."

Richard: "I'm just scared that the crisis will eventually begin to impact the Replay. But I suppose hipsters can still afford its two dollar cover charges and $1.50 PBR's for the foreseeable future, at least until they begin to lose their part-time jobs at the Dusty Bookshelf."

---

Tonight the Granada offers an international hip-hop show. "Headliner Kraak & Smaak is a Dutch DJ trio that was described by Perez Hilton as "Amy Winehouse meets Moby." Infusing its productions with nufunk, house, hip-hop and electronica sounds, the group has remixed tracks for Jamiroquai and Junkie XL and released its own future-funk collection called "Boogie Angst." Kansas City performance ensemble Quixotic will set the stage with its unique synthesis of music, aerial dance and stage design" (LJ-World).

Chip: "Oh, I love Kraak & Smaak. Aren't they the two dudes who host Car Talk? I didn't know they were also musicians?"

Richard: "Quixotic sounds like a fascinating opening act. I can't tell you how many times I've been watching a DJ set and thought to myself, 'This is good and all, but it could really benefit from sort of trapeze component.' Finally, my needs have been met."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Last time I went in to Arensburg's, the only clerk in the store was having a seat in a chair where customers are supposed to be trying on shoes. When he realized there was a customer in the store, he put his cell phone back in his pocket and asked me if I needed any help before he was fully on his feet. This is either a symptom or a cause of their dwindling business, I think.

Anonymous said...

once again, Kip and Iars in agreement!

--Now, if we could just close the Replay and get a second set of Renter Lofts in there!