Saturday, December 19, 2009

Hipster Holiday Pick of the Weekend!

Do hipsters celebrate the holidays? Sure they do. They celebrate by hosting very hip events at their favorite bars, such as tonight's Chomp Womp Rock and Roll Circus and potluck dinner at the Jackpot, featuring bands from the local collective known as Chomp Womp, such as Baby Birds Don't Drink Milk, Boo and Boo Too, Bandit Teeth, and Rooftop Vigilantes.

Do you dare eat a dish cooked by the Vigilantes?

Boo and Boo Too's Drew Gibson explains his approach to music on www.thetripwire.com:

"I’ve never had the attention span to learn an instrument That’s why I use a lot of alternative tunings so I don’t have to learn to play guitar correctly. I use effects and things to either cover up my mistakes or amplify them; whatever sounds cool to me.”

The Tripwire's extensive piece on the bands contains a multitude of fascinating photos you should peruse:

http://www.thetripwire.com/blog/2008/11/30/on-the-cover-notes-from-middle-america-chomp-womp/

We'll leave you with two of them (click to enlarge).

This is Baby Birds in a bathtub:















And this is DJ Norrit:

No comments: