Tuesday, April 29, 2014

The Last Amber Ale: A Twitter Tone-Poem for Buffalo Bob's


It's the end of an era in LFK today as Buffalo Bob's closes after 37 years in business.  By LFK restaurant standards, that's an eternity.  Yet the restaurant's long reign on Mass. Street is a bit of a mystery.  Presumably it has loyal supporters?  Certainly it had plenty of business from out-of-towners who might have (reasonably but incorrectly) expected that LFK's proximity to KC would bode well for good barbecue.  But we didn't find much support in the local Twitter-world as we attempted to solicit the best and worst experiences of local diners for a Twitter-tone poem about Bob's.

Anyway, head down today for one last Fat Tire Amber Ale (RIGHT NOW!) and a plate of curly fries, if you're so inclined, and enjoy the poem. Thanks to everyone who submitted.  There were so many we couldn't use them all.  And hopefully Bob and the City Fathers won't have you all excommunicated for your comments!

       
THE LAST AMBER ALE:  A (MOSTLY UNPLEASANT) ODE TO BUFFALO BOB'S

Only time I went there, 
Schumm didn't even command me 
to have a Fat Tire that very moment.

They served me an unfresh Freestate the last time I went. 
And were out of brisket. 
HOW'S A BBQ PLACE OUT OF BRISKET AT NOON?

I had a cold brisket sandwich there once.
It was so cold
that the grease 
had crystallized on the meat. 
Worst barbecue ever.

I thought Buffalo Bobs was great in 1990
 not sure why I never went back...

Eating at Buffalo Bob's 
at the insistence of friends in High School
helped make me the vegetarian that I am today.

Moved to LFK in '96...
was told of moldy bread 
under an open-faced sandwich. 
Never stepped inside.

I managed to successfully avoid eating there
except for 3 times
 in 30+ years 

I lived in Lawrence for a decade 
and never knew anyone who went there regularly.

My dad took me and my brother
when we were young.
 My brother shot ketchup on the ceiling 
and my dad got pissed. 

Have you considered that Buffalo Bob's only survived 
all these years 
from one-time weekend visits of parents of KU students?

My roommate worked there as a cook in '03. 
When he came home from work
 my dog would lick the grease 
off his shoes
 for hours.

1 sketchy meal at BB's -
 when they briefly changed turkey vendors. 
All other 300 meals in past 25 yrs were great! 

At least Buffalo Bob's wasn't selling weed out the back... 
Nevermind.
Would have been better if they were selling weed.

I walked by it many times 
and never was the odor so bad as to offend me.

One time Punnilingus and I ate there while intoxicated.

Always loved that place.
Drove up from Topeka in the early 80s just to eat there.
Sad to see them go.

FUCK THAT PLACE. WORST JOB EVER.

Went once and realized it housed no actual BBQ food. 
Never went again.

They had gross cheese sticks. 
How do you mess up fried cheese?



Photo from 2010 via Kansas Travel.

 http://kansastravel.org/kansastravelblog/blog101218a.JPG

No comments: