Sunday, June 13, 2010

Larryville Gets Even Artsier / Also: Rap Pick of the Week

Not to be outdone by KC's First Friday art openings in the Crossroads District, Larryville will begin their own similar event on August 27 (ours will be called "Final Fridays," not "First"). The city is currently hosting a logo competition for a design that "will be used on all promotional materials and will receive $500" (Lawrence.com).

Richard: "My submission is of a hipster artist at his easel, painting a meticulous portrait of a PBR can. To me, it shows how art can grow out of even modest, trivial circumstances such as local hipster culture, but it's also a biting commentary on how said art is also pretty trivial itself. But I hope the city doesn't get that last part, because I want that $500 dollars."

---

If you love rap as much as the boys, you're no doubt awaiting Drake's official debut album, which "drops" this week. Drake, a "biracial Jewish-Canadian former child actor" (NY-Times) has already been anointed as the next big thing by virtually all media outlets. The NY-Times writes of the album, titled Thank Me Later:

"It’s a moody, entrancing and emotionally articulate album that shows off Drake’s depth as a rapper, a singer and a songwriter, without sacrificing accessibility."

Let's take a look at an excerpt of lyrics from the first single, "Over":

"You too fine to be layin’ down in bed alone
I could teach you how to speak my language, Rosetta Stone
I swear this life is like the sweetest thing I’ve ever known
‘Bout to go Thriller Mike Jackson on these niggas
All I need’s a fucking red jacket with some zippers
Super good smiddoke, a package of the swishers
I did it overnight, it couldn’t happen any quicker"


Chip: "In the opening lines, the speaker is directly addressing one of his 'bitches,' yet the lines are a common 'signifying' technique that apply just as well to his audience, as he invites us too to learn his particular 'language,' which isn't always easy to translate. As best as I can tell, 'smiddoke' probably means 'reefer?'"

Richard: "I plan to rap this tune at the next Leotards* jam session."

*The Leotards are an important local band featuring King Tosser on guitar and S. Stix on vocals, simulated sex noises, and train whistles.

3 comments:

famous rock empresario said...

Mizz Stix has confided to me that those sex noises aren't at all simulated.

double-bill said...

When will the Leotards open for Koktopus?

Anonymous said...

I always thought it was "Styx" - a clever harkening back to that wonderful band that surely influenced all that this daring duo undertakes.