Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Boys Eat Local! / Plus, Richard's Hipster Pick of the Day / Also: Chip's Song of the Week!

As many as 100 Larryvillians are currently involved in a two-week "eat local challenge" in which they try to make sure that at least four out of five meals are locally grown and produced.

Chip: "Unless Papa Keno grows all his pizza in town, I ain't participating."

Richard: "I tend to eat four out of five meals at Local Burger anyway, so I guess I'm participating after all."

---

Richard's pick of the night: The Avett Brothers at Liberty Hall

"There was a time, not so long ago, when hipsters hopped aboard the alt-country train and could occasionally even be seen donning cowboy hats at local shows. Of course, these hipsters quickly realized that they (and most of the singers) were total posers. Their daddies were not coal miners. Most of them had never tasted moonshine. So they quit going to these shows and stayed home instead listening to Harry Smith's Anthology of American Folk Music, taking comfort in its "purity." A few aging hipsters, such as myself and Matt Cl.thier, however, continue to find something in these bands (with their banjos and their upright basses) that we feel is missing in soulless bands like The Postal Service. For us, the blips of a Casio cannot compete with the twang of a mandolin, and although we hate the fact that many of our beloved bands have been embraced by hippie jamband festivals which force them to stretch out their songs from three to thirty-three minutes (of incessant noodling), we would not think of missing a show like the Avett Brothers, which will feature some of the best-written songs the genre has heard in some time, performed raucously. If you can't appreciate a song like "The Ballad of Love and Hate", you're probably a frat-boy asshole."

---

Chip's song of the week: Katy Perry's "I Kissed a Girl"

Chip: "This was obviously the feel good hit of the summer. Just look:

I kissed a girl and I liked it
The taste of her cherry chap stick
I kissed a girl just to try it
I hope my boyfriend don't mind it
It felt so wrong
It felt so right
Don't mean I'm in love tonight
I kissed a girl and I liked it
I liked it


What I enjoy most about this song is that it makes me think of girls kissing each other."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

R.chard's pre-show commentary on the Avett Brothers, alt-country, hipsters, and Casio keyboard hipster pop couldn't be more dead on. Now, off to bong a few beers to get in the mood!

Mindi said...

Richard - you are the real deal. I know you drink moonshine all of the time. While your daddy may not be a coal miner, you're from Arkansas, so that more than makes up for it.

Matt went to school in Oklahoma; he's got his street (or whatever the alt. country equivalent is) cred.

Enjoy the show...I'm jealous, perhaps I'm only posing as jealous.