Thursday, December 20, 2012

A Boner Under the Mistletoe: Our All-New Foxy by Proxy X-Mas Interview ("What could warm one's heart better than whiskey and pasties?")


Readers, as you may remember, we interviewed some of the Foxy by Proxy gang back in October prior to their Halloween performance, but that interview was a bit  of a quickie.  Frenzied and erotic, yes, but without the slow teasing and foreplay one might expect in an interview with a burlesque troupe (read it here). So we decided to sit down with Bunny Baltimore, Honey Caprise, Shagra Khan, and The Right Reverend Spunk Rogers for a more penetrating peek at their hopes and dreams (and, yes, their T & A) once again prior to their major Miracle on Mass. Street performance this Saturday at the Granada

Saturday's event promises impressive production design, a cohesive narrative, and the group's first-ever poledance routine, because nothing says X-mas like a little pole-dancing!  Oh, it will be a naughty treat, and a mere $8 will get you inside, where it's all nice and cozy.   (Chip: "These sentences are getting me aroused.").  Doors are at 9:00.

Enjoy the interview below, and happy holidays from the LC! We'll see you after X-mas.


foxholiday


Chip:  Our last interview with you ladies was a bit rushed, but this time we’ve got the space for some sweet foreplay, so let’s make ourselves comfortable [note to readers: Chip is naked right now] and talk about how you all got your start performing burlesque.  

Bunny Baltimore:   I started performing burlesque under the name "Dolly Baltimore" while living at 20th and Baltimore in Kansas City, Missouri in 2008.  Last year I changed my name to Bunny just for the hell of it. My first performances were the Naughty Needles burlesque event at the Jackpot Music Hall (Lawrence, KS) and Dr. Sketchy's Anti-Art School burlesque life drawing (KCMO) in 2008. That just got my appetite for burlesque started. I performed and modeled sporadically until I decided Lawrence (my hometown) needed a troupe. I asked a friend who was equally into the idea and she introduced me to another girl, Miss Roach von Hoebag, and we started Foxy by Proxy (named after Roach's previous year's V-day party) Revue. We held auditions at Pachamama's ballroom June 2011 and that is when the core Foxy performers came together and Scarlet, Putressa, Lorie, Chi Chi tried out and joined. Soon after that came Honey and Rex Bodean. We have added new members in the last year: Jolly, Dolly, Frenchie, Nessie, Shagra, the Rev, Marion, Bel and Red. We have all grown together as performers whether Foxy is our first run or our last, which for me, has been like becoming a whole new performer.

Honey Caprice:    Foxy By Proxy was my first.


Shagra Khan:   I started in Foxy over  a year ago as the merch girl. I would convince frat bros that wandered into our shows to buy pasties. It wasn't until June that I started MCing.. which I think is really just me yelling at everyone. They seem to be into it though.



Richard:  Tell us about your favorite burlesque performance that you’ve ever witnessed and also your favorite that you’ve ever personally performed.

Bunny:  Fave burlesque performance: done by Lorie Darlin' at our circus show in August 2011.  Her music box bit.  It raised the bar for theatrics and props in Foxy shows. Fave I have ever done: tie between my bit for Miracle on Mass St because it debuts pole dancing for this first time for our troupe and 'Little Red Riding Hood," [which] I performed with Rita B in 2008 at Jackpot Music Hall for Naughty Needles because it was my first burlesque performance ever. 

Honey:  There are many New York artists that I want very much to see in person. Particularly  Dame Cuchifrita and Tigger James-Ferguson, they are inspiring performers. I think my personal favorite bit was Kali at our last Halloween show.

Shagra:   My personal best might have been chugging a beer on stage and throwing my cup into the crowd. I've never been accused of being classy.


Chip:   Tell us about your dream burlesque performance: if you could do anything and perform anywhere, what would be involved?


Bunny:  I would do a 30 minute interpretive dance to "the sound of whales" for a fat kid camp involving me in a sequin leotard and a harpoon.

Honey:   My dreams and vision for my art are constantly changing, I definitely strive to grow as a performer every time. If I had my way we would simply have access to unlimited costuming materials and be travel ready. I would also love very much to be able to take some classes to explore contortion and aerialist possibilities. 

The Right Reverend Spunk Rogers:  My dream burlesque performance: if I could do anything and perform anywhere, I would do a striptease while flying around near the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. Also, I would use my telekinetic powers to make the Pope and all the bishops and priests do the worm down the processional aisle while I showered them with the sweet-scented alien urine flowing copiously from my magic pasties.

Richard:   The Miracle on Mass. Street is looking pretty great.  Finally, an X-mas event that’s not all about wearing ugly sweaters!   Give us a little preview.  I understand there’s going to be a Nighmare Before Christmas sketch?


Honey:  This will be the second time we have attached all of our numbers to a loose story line. Everything has a place in the tale. Mine is based on Pan and will be one of a couple stretching the limits this time around.

Shagra:  Our technical director, Rexy Bodean has pretty much built an entire living room and bedroom set for the Granada stage so we can tell some classic Christmas stories with a Foxy twist.



Chip:  Personally, I like ugly sweater X-mas parties, and I sometimes accidentally win even when I don’t know there’s a contest.  Will there be any sort of ugly sweater striptease element to this show?

Honey:   Well, if you wear one you may have to peel it off fairly early in the evening. Those things are itchy!

Shagra:  There might have been an ugly Christmas sweater striptease if this was "boring ironic hipster burlesque." You definitely won't be seeing any ugly at this show.



Richard:  Leave our readers with a little blurb that convinces them that they absolutely MUST leave the comfort of home and hearth right before Christmas and witness the Miracle on Mass. Street.



Bunny:  Miracle on Mass st. is your opportunity to be part of entertainment history for Lawrence. There will be acting, singing, dancing, stripping, Santa and the most amazing surprise that I can't give away. This is our gift to you, it would be rude not to accept :)

Honey:   Where else are you going to get Soul Grinch, the Rat King and the three spirits of Christmas in one room. It's like the Ghostbusters containment unit up in here.

Shagra:   The holiday spirit is overrated. What could warm one's heart better than whiskey and pasties?


Chip:   Don’t take this the wrong way, because I know you ladies don’t work at the Outhouse, but is there any possibility of me getting a lapdance at this Christmas party?


Bunny:  Why would we take that the wrong way? You say that like strippers are inferior to burlesque dancers. Strippers that dance at gentleman's clubs are really no different than burlesque performers...everyone has a different set of morals that they carry with them on and off stage and no one is better than the other in this business. I was a stripper at the Flamingo Club for a year and a half and a few of our other performers are/were dancers also. That doesn't make us more susceptible to handing out lap dances, but I am not saying it couldn't happen :)

Honey Caprice:  Ask Biker Santa. 

The Right Reverend Spunk Rogers:  That probably depends on how much you tip Richard to give you one, but if by "lap dance" you mean climb on Santa's knee and drool on his chicken leg, then quite likely.


Photos:  The Right Rev; Honey Caprise; Shagra Khan; Bunny Baltimore:







No comments: